Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows Vista

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shut Down
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:43 am 

Hi Guys,

Brilliant forum..

My first question- When I click on "Shut Down" the system freezes/waits then proceeds with shut down. Anyone know a fix.

Many thanks..

Post subject: Re: Shut Down
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 pm 

The bad news is that there are LOTS of possibilities to explore; the good news is that it is most likely shutting down a program that is running in the background. You can easily check this out by running one of the utilities that will display all the programs that are activated in the start up.

I like CCleaner by Piriform because it has a tool where you can easily disable start up files one by one to find the problem, and then easily reactivate the ones you want back.

You can also use the Windows system utility "msconfig" at the Run command, but I think it's a little messier to troubleshoot with.

If it's not a startup file, then the problem may be a Windows service, which is beyond my ability to pin down. :crazy: But there are plenty of experts on this forum that can probably help you out.

Latest Build: Skylake i7-6700K | ASUS Z170i | NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler | NZXT Manta Case | Seasonic Platinum SS-660 | Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2| G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666 | MSI GTX 950 | Windows 10 | Dell 24" 1920x1200 x2

Post subject: Re: Shut Down
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:41 pm 

rchris, thank you so much. I shall investigate..

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows Vista